I remember one morning a few years ago stumbling out onto the deck with my coffee, feeling pretty bad about life. My border collie looked up at me from between her paws with that look that said:
… here we go, he’s going to start on about his freaking problems ….
Do I really have to listen to all this again?
Well I buy your Kibble lady, so yes you do.
And so she’d listen, but not for free. Payment consisted of fifteen minutes stroking behind the ear – minimum – and on a bad day a belly rub as well.
Some days it can get like that; when the light you see at the end of the tunnel is just an oncoming express train.
We all need to remember that we are not alone when this happens. It can be easy to see bad luck or failure as our destiny rather than a learning curve.
But the brightest and the best have been there before us, and sometimes what it takes to dig out is not just to catch a break but keep the right attitude.
Here’s how eight of the most successful men and women of this century and the last have won their dreams.
It helped them.
Their thoughts on the subject help me.
Perhaps they will help you too.
1. “Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know of avoiding the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.” – Steve Jobs
2. “The beauty of success, whether it’s finding the girl of your dreams, the right job, or financial success, is that it doesn’t matter how many times you have failed, you only have to be right once.” – Mark Cuban
3. “What other people label failure I have learned is just God’s way of pointing you in a new direction.” – Oprah Winfrey
4. “Many of life’s failures are people who did not know how close they were to success when they gave up.” – Thomas Edison
5. “I was set free because my greatest fear had been realized. And I still had a daughter who I adored, and I had an old typewriter and a big idea. And so rock bottom became a solid foundation on which to build my life.” – JK Rowling
6. “I knew that if I failed I wouldn’t regret that, but the one thing that I would regret is not trying.” – Jeff Bezos, Amazon
7. “I have taken more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. Twenty six times I have been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I have failed over and over again in my life; and that is why I succeed.” – Michael Jordan
8. “The first step towards getting somewhere is deciding you are not going to stay where you are.” – JP Morgan
… I even now suspect that Scout knew all this and was trying to tell me.
She must have known a few things about success, because I never saw her fail.
That dog. She was a great listener.
But she made sure she got paid.
Every. Single. Time.